Doctor answers Carlisle United’s emergency call
Last updated at 11:57, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
Carlisle United’s SOS for a doctor for this weekend’s game with Stevenage has been answered.
The Blues launched an appeal for a qualified medic to act as ‘crowd doctor’ on Saturday, with the regular incumbent Marcus Rieborn absent as he awaits the birth of his new baby.
Within hours of the Blues making the appeal, the position was filled by Cockermouth GP Dr Vijay Kopparthi. He will be based in the home dug-out during the game and will attend any medical incidents in the public areas of Brunton Park.
United have spoken of their relief that the position has been filled so quickly.
“It's fantastic that the appeal worked so quickly and great that we have an important position filled,” said media officer Andy Hall.
“Incidents in the public areas are few and far between but it's a weight off our mind to know that we are fully prepared on and off the pitch to react to anything that might occur. We heard from a number of suitably qualified people in the wake of the appeal and we could like to thank the local media for their help with this issue.”
The club’s main doctor is Alan Edwards, who deals with any medical incidents involving players at the game.
Meanwhile, Carlisle’s bid to make further headway in League One suffered a blow last night. Saturday’s opponents Stevenage, who had been just four points above the Blues, moved into the top half with a 2-0 win over Notts County. Sam Hoskins and Marcus Haber scored to see off the managerless Magpies.
It means 16th-placed Carlisle now trail Crawley, in 15th, by six points with a much worse goal difference.
Elsewhere, Scunthorpe moved out of the drop zone with a 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Portsmouth.
Akpo Sodje scored twice for the Iron – Liam Walker replied – and the victory for Brian Laws’ side means Oldham now plummet into the bottom four.
Swindon won 1-0 at Colchester thanks to a James Collins strike to remain third.
First published at 11:40, Wednesday, 06 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Thousands are left spellbound at Carlisle Fireshow (26 comments)
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (12 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- "Dangerous" police cuts debate: how your MPs voted (24 comments)