Coventry capture Carlisle hat-trick hero Clarke
Published at 11:34, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
STRIKER Leon Clarke, who scored a hat-trick when he last faced Carlisle United, will be gunning for the Blues again this weekend after joining Coventry.
The forward has completed a move from Charlton on a two-and-a-half year deal. And he will boost Mark Robins’ squad for their visit to Brunton Park this Sunday.
Clarke was responsible for one of the best individual performances against Carlisle last season when his treble earned Chesterfield a 4-1 win in September 2011. He has already been on prolific form in League One this term, smashing 11 goals in 15 games for struggling Scunthorpe.
Clarke, 27, has arrived as a replacement for former loanee David McGoldrick, who was recalled by Nottingham Forest and then loaned to Ipswich. Robins said: “He has shown that he can give defences a torrid time and we believe he’s the kind of player that can score a lot of goals for us.”
Clarke originally joined Coventry on loan before the paperwork of his permanent move was completed.
Robins, though, will be without another player on Sunday with loan defender Reece Brown having been recalled by Manchester United.
Former Carlisle United striker Danny Graham – linked with a move away from Swansea – is recapturing his old form according to boss Michael Laudrup.
Graham has played second fiddle to Michu for most of the season, leading to reports that he could leave with Norwich and Sunderland among his admirers, but has now scored in his last three games.
Laudrup said: “We’ve not had official bids for Danny. He’s playing well right now so obviously he’s important for us because he’s scoring goals.”
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)