Carlisle Utd winger Andy Welsh quashes Bradford move rumour
Last updated at 12:34, Monday, 11 February 2013
Winger Andy Welsh has personally shot down rumours that he is about to leave Carlisle United for Wembley-bound Bradford City.
Speculation that recalled Welsh was set for a loan move to the League Two club spread like wildfire on the internet yesterday. It prompted the 29-year-old to take the unusual move of posting a message on his own Twitter account where he insisted the rumour was false.
“Wow twitter feed gone a bit mental tonight not sure where these rumours have come from no truth in them #baffled,” Welsh wrote.
Andy Welsh's tweet. Article continues below...
Wow twitter feed gone a bit mental tonight not sure where these rumours have come from no truth in them #baffled— Andy Welsh (@andy_welsh11) February 10, 2013
A departure for the former Yeovil man would be strange at a time when he has just reclaimed a place in Greg Abbott’s starting line-up after several months out of favour. Welsh set up Rory Loy’s opening goal in the Stevenage victory and has now made three consecutive starts.
He has been linked with a loan departure in both of the last two transfer windows but is set to continue in the Blues side at Scunthorpe tomorrow. The Stevenage win left Abbott again impressed with the impact of Sean O’Hanlon and the Blues manager admitted he would like to strike a longer deal for the defender, whose contract runs until the end of the season.
“Sean has been good,” Abbott said. “We’ve got to try and fit him in to our club. If we can do it we’ll do it. He likes us and we like him.”
Abbott said Mike Edwards was absent from Saturday’s squad after having an injection to cure a minor groin problem, but the centre-half is set to rejoin training today and will be available for Scunthorpe. Loy, meanwhile, will be assessed to ensure the Scot can get through another tough 90 minutes at Glanford Park. The Blues boss has warned against pushing the striker too hard, despite his return to goalscoring form.
“We will have some tired legs out there and it will be a slog for Rory, so we will have to address that and see if he’s up to doing a shift,” Abbott added.
First published at 12:28, Monday, 11 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (19 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (32 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator
- Endangered species warning at Cumbria milk price crisis talks (1 comment)
- Two weeks to act over Cumbrian parking permits charge (2 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (101 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (74 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (63 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (49 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (52 comments)