Carlisle Utd's McGovern to decide on Rotherham move this week
Last updated at 12:46, Thursday, 14 June 2012
JP McGovern is set to decide whether to complete a shock move to Rotherham by the end of the week.
The Carlisle United winger has been given permission to talk to the League Two club.
And the signs are that the experienced Scot is on his way out of Brunton Park in a move that has surprised fans.
Rotherham manager Steve Evans today revealed he was in advanced negotiations with a winger from League One.
Evans did not name McGovern but claimed the player was a regular for his club last season and has a year left on his deal.
“Out of the three or four on our list we felt that the best option was the one who is contracted to another club, but [chairman] Paul Douglas said that we had permission to speak to him, so we seized the opportunity,” Evans said.
“We are talking numbers, the boy wants to join us, he told me that again over the weekend.
“He is a good player, I would like to get him here but I have done my bit as much as I can in terms of selling the dream of playing here. He is excited about what we are doing here, but like all of us he has bills to pay, mortgages to pay and mouths to feed so from that point of view the deal has to be right for him, and he has others talking to him as well.
“I know we are quite close with the numbers, how close we get in the next 48 hours will be interesting but personally I would love to see him here.”
Carlisle have refused to confirm or deny McGovern's impending departure, only commenting that he remains a United player and has a year left on the two-year deal he signed last summer.
The Scot – also being eyed by clubs north of the border – was a regular under Greg Abbott last season, making 50 appearances and scoring five goals.
The fact 31-year-old McGovern has already spoken to Evans suggests Carlisle have struck a deal with Rotherham but no details of any agreement have so far been made public.
First published at 11:28, Thursday, 14 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Thousands are left spellbound at Carlisle Fireshow (26 comments)
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (12 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- "Dangerous" police cuts debate: how your MPs voted (24 comments)