Carlisle Utd boss set to make tactical change at Notts County
Last updated at 12:29, Thursday, 28 February 2013
Teenager Dave Symington faces the axe by Greg Abbott as the Carlisle United boss looks set to ditch the Blues’ 4-4-2 system at Notts County.
The United manager is likely to make a tactical change in a bid to make his side more solid at Meadow Lane.
That is likely to spell a quick return to the bench for youngster Symington, who started Tuesday’s 3-0 defeat at Walsall.
Abbott now believes that playing open and expansive football, which was his intention on Tuesday, may be too risky with United needing quick points to avoid being drawn into the relegation scrap.
A return to 4-3-3 or the diamond system, with Paul Thirlwell and Brad Potts contenders for a recall in midfield, is back on the agenda.
“On Tuesday we played a system with two wingers and two centre-forwards to entertain and create chances,” Abbott said.
“That’s what the fans wanted, but it didn’t happen. Maybe other systems are sometimes better.
“Nothing is entertaining when you get beat like that. Maybe now I can go about doing the job in the best way possible to get results.”
Abbott also insisted he had been right to play the right-footed Symington on the left wing against the Saddlers.
“David plays just as well on the left, he’s played a lot of his football there,” the United manager said.
“He is probably a bit short of playing regularly, but we have to find out and he deserved the start with his performances off the bench.
“He found it tough, and I wish supporters would trust your selections and formations and reasons for doing things.
“We try to explain everything. Maybe patience in team selection is the key.”
First published at 12:28, Thursday, 28 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)