Carlisle Utd boss Greg Abbott’s relegation warning
Last updated at 14:14, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Greg Abbott admitted his Carlisle United team will slide back into deep relegation trouble if they repeat their horror show against Walsall.
The woeful Blues went down to their first home defeat of 2013 thanks to Will Grigg’s hat-trick.
Manager Abbott described it as a “dishevelled” performance while captain Lee Miller said the display was “embarrassing”.
The Cumbrians are now six points above the bottom four after many of the strugglers claimed vital victories.
Abbott said: “That’s a team that would end up in trouble if it doesn’t improve its performance.
“This is a tough time to be manager of this club. I have to resurrect the performances. I’ll do my utmost but I haven’t got a magic formula.
“The whole of the world’s on my shoulders, and I am down. I’m hurt by all the criticism that is thrown at me and the club. But I’ve come out fighting before and I’ll come out fighting again – and so will the group.”
The United boss, though, defended striker Miller against suggestions that his poor form is linked to his contract situation.
The frontman, one of many players whose deal is up in the summer, has only scored three goals in 15 games since returning from injury, two of them penalties.
Miller himself described last night’s showing as his worst for United.
Miller took to Twitter to respond to comments from fans. Article continues below...
Not 1 to shy away from criticism!!woznt good enuff!worst ive played!absolutely gutted!not having the lack of trying tho!!always give 100%— Lee Miller (@LeeMillerScotia) February 26, 2013
But Abbott said: “I don’t want people labelling that he’s out of contract and going to move on, so he won’t try. Lee is not that type of lad and I think it’s a lack of respect for Lee as a person to say that.
“He is going to give his all between now and the end of the season and he will have good and bad days.
“It’s not in anyone’s interests to deliberately play poorly. He’s had an off-night. I know the lad and he is trying.”
Walsall’s Northern Ireland international forward Grigg struck with a second-minute penalty and then further goals in the 66th and 85th minute in front of 3,266 fans at Brunton Park.
First published at 11:28, Wednesday, 27 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)