Carlisle Utd boss defends decision to release Nahki Wells
Last updated at 11:41, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Greg Abbott today defended his decision to axe prolific striker Nahki Wells – who is now one of the hottest properties in the transfer window.
Abbott said persisting with Bradford ace Wells was a risk the club could not afford to take.
The Bermudan international has seen his reputation soar this season with 17 goals, including a memorable strike in the Bantams’ Capital One Cup win against Aston Villa.
The 22-year-old is now a reported target for a host of Championship clubs, with Leeds, Huddersfield and Wolves all linked.
It is a far cry from Wells’ failure to make an impact at Brunton Park, where he made only three sub appearances in half a season before being released.
Abbott, who signed Wells from Bermudan club Dandy Town in January 2011, said: “We knew Nahki would be a good player and when we sent him to Bradford I begged them to sign him.
“We said he needed time, another 12 to 18 months, and it was time we struggled to give him here because we needed players to make an immediate impact.
“It’s only now that we’re seeing a real player developing. Those are the risks you take when you let people go.”
At the time Wells was behind the likes of Craig Curran, Francois Zoko, Rory Loy, Ben Marshall and Paddy Madden in the pecking order at Carlisle.
His only United outings came from the bench in a home win against Bristol Rovers and away defeats at Southampton and Peterborough.
Abbott added: “At the time he couldn’t get in our first team, he wasn’t good enough.
“It would have been very difficult with our finances to pay somebody for two years that wasn’t going to play.
“And he didn’t [play] for a year after leaving here, either. So we were right at that point. Now he’s doing well and good luck to him.”
First published at 11:38, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (48 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers (22 comments)
- Sorry, Carlisle United - but Knighton was right (2 comments)
- Soaring temperatures before thunder and rain hit Cumbria (9 comments)
- New £1.9m plan to reduce traffic on west Cumbria's roads (7 comments)