Carlisle United hopes of signing Jordan Cook fade
Last updated at 09:46, Saturday, 30 June 2012
Blues boss Greg Abbott admits his chances of landing summer target Jordan Cook are slimmer than ever as the striker eyes a Championship move.
The Carlisle United manager insists the door is still open for the former Sunderland man to join the Blues but knows he is no longer at the front of the queue.
Abbott, though, is already turning his attention to alternatives – and says the potential signing he is meeting on Monday could be a better prospect than former loan star Cook.
The United manager is determined to cast the net wide in his bid to add a young frontman to his squad for the 2012/13 season.
He said: “Jordan is speaking to a Championship club and until talks are finalised, it’s off.
“That is what Jordan and his agent are talking about and if they can get in the Championship, that’s what they want to do.
“But in every disappointment there is another player available. And the one I’m talking to [on Monday] might even be better.”
Abbott would like his next signing to be able to play in a variety of formations.
Frontmen like Rory Loy and the departed Francois Zoko have proved capable of operating in a three or two-man attack and the Blues boss says versatility is key.
Abbott said the mystery man he was meeting had plenty of other interest but the fact he had agreed to meet the United manager was a positive sign.
He added: “The player we are looking at has probably played at a higher level and scored goals at a higher level than Jordan.
“But we liked him [Cook] and the door is still sort of open – but not as much as it was, because he’s talking to a higher club.”
Former Birmingham and Middlesbrough defender Stuart Parnaby, who had indicated he was ready to join the Blues for pre-season, is also now speaking to a second-tier club.
“He said he would ring me back with details of that conversation, but I haven’t heard back from him,” said Abbott. “He was genuinely chasing us and I’ve told him the door is open. I will give him a courtesy call soon.”
First published at 08:58, Saturday, 30 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (35 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (32 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (26 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)