Carlisle United boss Abbott wants cash from Madden’s sale
Last updated at 11:53, Wednesday, 02 January 2013
Greg Abbott will ask for the proceeds of Paddy Madden’s sale to Yeovil to help bolster his Carlisle United squad this month.
The Blues manager has been reassured that he will be backed in the transfer-market despite United’s financial struggles.
Madden’s departure for an undisclosed fee – believed to be a five-figure sum – is set to be completed after the clubs went public on the deal last night.
The Irish striker had been on loan at Huish Park and yesterday scored his eighth and ninth goals for Gary Johnson’s side in their 3-0 win against Leyton Orient.
Abbott has long been convinced that a permanent move for Madden was the best solution for all parties despite his impressive form over 15 games for the ninth-placed Somerset outfit.
Both he and United have been anticipating the completion of the transfer for several weeks and the fee will be seen as timely at Brunton Park.
The Carlisle boss’s top target in the transfer window is Joe Garner, but he is also eyeing defenders, and will now step up his search for new blood.
Madden, meanwhile, has agreed a two-and-a-half year deal with his new club, who are eight places above Carlisle in League One.
Their manager Gary Johnson revealed the deal after their Orient victory, and in a statement United later said a sell-on clause had been inserted into Madden’s contract with the Glovers.
He had only scored twice in 35 appearances for the Cumbrians since joining from Bohemians in January 2011.
But the 22-year-old hit a hot streak for Johnson’s side, with the Yeovil boss delighted to have captured the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international.
Johnson said: “We spotted his potential early on and felt that we would try and broker a deal for him to come here full-time. That is what we have done. The paperwork has been agreed and Paddy Madden is a Yeovil Town player. From day one he always was.”
First published at 11:40, Wednesday, 02 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Thousands are left spellbound at Carlisle Fireshow (26 comments)
- Refugee families from Syria to resettle in Cumbria by Xmas (12 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- "Dangerous" police cuts debate: how your MPs voted (24 comments)