Carlisle Utd boss Abbott tells fans: Don't come and watch us!
Last updated at 09:36, Saturday, 18 February 2012
Greg Abbott has issued an extraordinary plea to Carlisle United fans ahead of their trip to Brentford – Don’t come to watch us!
The Blues boss has urged the Cumbrians’ loyal travelling fans to put their feet up and watch Monday’s game on Sky television rather than spend time and money on following the team to London.
Abbott said Carlisle’s away supporters have been so devoted to the cause this season that they deserve to “stay in the armchair with a cup of tea” and watch the live coverage this time.
Ahead of the Blues’ rare appearance in front of the cameras against their play-off rivals, the manager said: “I would say to our London Branch supporters to go and watch it, but to the ones at home – stay in and watch it on TV. It’s a long trek and they go to phenomenal time and expense to follow this club all over the place.
“Maybe this is an opportunity for them to save their pennies for the home games. Instead of getting home at four in the morning, get in the armchair with a cup of tea and put your money into our coffers instead.
“I’m not stopping them from going. They are legends with the support they give us. I’m saying save your money if you can. But if they get the buzz from being there we will be massively appreciative.”
Monday’s clash at Griffin Park is Carlisle’s first televised appearance since last season’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final victory against the Bees. United will go sixth if they win against Uwe Rosler’s side, with sixth-placed Stevenage in FA Cup action against Tottenham.
Abbott added: “We need to nick results on the road to go with our home form. If we do that, we have a nailed-on chance of being at the right end of the table.”
First published at 08:55, Saturday, 18 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- 'We want hospital we were promised', MP tells 4,000-strong health rally (21 comments)
- Nightclub to close; owner wants to build flats on site (4 comments)
- New bridge set to be built between Currock and Denton Holme (27 comments)
- Supermarket car wash damaged my car, claims Cumbrian man (30 comments)
- 200 sign petition to stop Carlisle Civic Centre being demolished (47 comments)