Bugno experience won't stop Carlisle Utd buying foreign players again
Last updated at 11:46, Saturday, 02 February 2013
Greg Abbott says he won’t be put off another plunge into the foreign transfer market despite the disastrous end to Alessio Bugno’s brief stay at Carlisle United.
The homesick Italian left-back, who fled Brunton Park in December after less than six months, this week had his contract cancelled by the club.
United claim that the Bugno, who made four appearances for the Blues this season, struggled to settle after earning a contract with some good displays in pre-season.
The 22-year-old former Monza player has been having trials with clubs back in his native Italy after a disappointing end to his spell in English football.
However, Abbott insists he won’t be deterred from signing foreign players in the future because of the success of former striker Francois Zoko, who was a big hit during his two seasons at Brunton Park.
“We had a success story with Francois and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t,” said the Blues boss.
“There was something to work on with Alessio when he first came in, but sometimes it’s the risk you take.
“You know someone from Workington or Penrith is going to settle a lot easier than someone from Monza.
“It just hasn’t worked for him so that’s it.
“He just found life difficult in England, and it’s a different game completely.
“When you’re not performing and you’re away from home and haven’t got family or friends around you it becomes difficult to live your life.
“We didn’t think that Alessio would change his mind because he just couldn’t settle in England.
“It is the same in the Premiership – it works with some players and it doesn’t with others.”
Bugno, whose father is former Tour de France runner-up and two-time world road racing champion Gianni Bugno, linked up with United for pre-season training last summer.
After some eye-catching displays in Carlisle’s friendlies, the youngster, who was desperate for a chance in the English game, was rewarded with a two-year deal.
First published at 11:22, Saturday, 02 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (39 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (29 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (22 comments)
- Copeland council backs Civic Hall and new public loos plans (7 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (6 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (88 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)