Brian Williams returns to Penrith FC hotseat for fourth time
Last updated at 12:10, Thursday, 28 June 2012
Experienced Penrith FC manager Brian Williams plans to roll back the years after returning to the hotseat – 28 years since he was last at the helm.
And Williams, who has taken charge of the Northern League side for a fourth time, insists his long association with the club can help bring back the good times.
The 65-year-old is best remembered as the boss who led Penrith to the most famous win in their history – the 1981 FA Cup first round victory over Chester, who were then in the old Third Division.
Williams, who replaces former boss John Clasper, was last in charge in 1984 but says he can now help restore stability as they prepare for the new campaign which includes a clash against his former club Darlington.
“I know the Penrith people will get behind us if we have any kind of success,” said Williams, who is also acting chairman until next month’s AGM. We clung on last season and the plan is to make things better on and off the pitch.
“I’ve got a lad called Nick Wharton working with me – he’s been at the club for years, got himself a UEFA B badge, and I like to reward loyalty. It’s not going to be easy but we will get things settled down and hopefully make Penrith a proper little club that everyone wants to come to.”
Williams, a former Carlisle United trainee, says he is “sickened” by the plight of Darlington, who will be groundsharing with Bishop Auckland and operating under the new name of Darlington FC 1883 in the Northern League.
A local derby with newly-promoted Gillford Park – now known as Celtic Nation FC – is also on the cards in the new campaign.
On taking charge after a long absence, Williams added: “Times change but the game hasn’t changed that much. Wouldn’t it be great if we can get the town buzzing again?”
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 28 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)