Red tape delays arrival of St Lucian players at Carlisle Utd
Last updated at 12:06, Tuesday, 28 June 2011
Greg Abbott will have to wait until the end of July before he can run the rule over two St Lucian youngsters at Carlisle United.
The Blues manager says he is battling to cut through red tape in order to get the teenage players to Brunton Park to train with his squad.
The young players, who Abbott spotted during his recent coaching stint on the island, are also involved in matches in the Caribbean for another month.
But the United boss remains keen to test them out against his Blues squad as part of his bid to establish a regular link between Carlisle and the St Lucian football set-up.
“I have identified two – aged 16 and 17 – but the amount of red tape to go through to get them over is ridiculous,” said Abbott. “We are working on that but the earliest we are likely to see them is July 25.”
St Lucia play their delayed World Cup CONCACAF qualifiers against Aruba on July 8 and 12 – games for which Abbott helped prepare the team during his two-week trip in May.
The Blues boss added: “These two players are not going to go into our first team – I just want to see how they compare, and give us an indication of whether we are going to be able to pursue something.”
First published at 11:26, Tuesday, 28 June 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (83 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (27 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (22 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (41 comments)
- New Marks & Spencer store in Carlisle will create 55 jobs (17 comments)