Abbott: Shoot down Sheffield and fans will come flocking back
Last updated at 12:00, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Greg Abbott has challenged his players to win back disillusioned fans by causing an upset against Sheffield United.
The Carlisle United manager insists his players will bounce back from the terrible display in the 3-1 FA Cup defeat to Bournemouth.
But he believes the players will have to improve quickly if they want to win back the respect of fans when they face another high-flying team at Brunton Park on Saturday.
“The fans have been a credit because the grumbling was minimal,” said Abbott.
“They just want the lads to roll their sleeves up and give everything they have got in their locker. If they get chances they need to hit the target, if they gets a chance to put the ball in the box they need to make sure it is a good cross and if it is a tackle they need to tackle.
“They need to do all the basic parts of their game right and they will get a round of applause from fans.
“The fans are a pretty genuine and pretty honest and that’s all they are after.
“The players generally give good accounts of themselves in terms of endeavour and honesty and that’s what we want. We will be back – there’s no question about that.”
Abbott admitted the loss of key players like Lee Miller and Rory Loy has had a devastating impact on the confidence of his players.
The Blues boss is now reeling from the loss of midfielder James Berrett and right-back Frank Simek.
Berrett missed Saturday’s game with a groin injury and Simek was forced to come off at half-time with knee ligament damage.
The pair are due to undergo scans to find out the extent of the injuries but both players could be facing at least two weeks on the sidelines.
First published at 11:50, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (19 comments)
- Carlisle star Matt Pagan gutted as Collabro Xmas lights switch-on called off (32 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator
- Endangered species warning at Cumbria milk price crisis talks (1 comment)
- Two weeks to act over Cumbrian parking permits charge (2 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (101 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (74 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (63 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (49 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (52 comments)