Abbott plays down hype over Carlisle Utd keeper Mark Gillespie
Last updated at 11:59, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Manager Greg Abbott has warned against over-hyping gifted young goalkeeper Mark Gillespie.
The Carlisle United boss believes the 20-year-old shot-stopper should be allowed to develop without being subjected to regular rave reviews.
Gillespie has been in impressive form since re-establishing himself as first-choice keeper at Brunton Park last December.
He will make his 13th consecutive Blues appearance against Walsall tonight after several eye-catching displays.
But Abbott said: “Mark is developing and improving and we’re pleased, but he has a long way to go.
“I don’t want too many things written about him. He’s a good kid but I want him to get 60-70 games under his belt and then talk about what a good goalkeeper he’s turning into.
“I think he’s on the right lines, but we need to be calm, reserved. I’m trying to play it all down.”
In total, Newcastle-born Gillespie has made 25 appearances for the Cumbrians this season and has forced previous No1 Adam Collin into a prolonged spell on the bench.
His clean-sheet tally currently stands at four ahead of tonight’s clash with Dean Smith’s Saddlers.
- Notts County are offering free tickets to past and current members of the Armed Forces for this Saturday’s clash with Carlisle at Meadow Lane.
The Magpies’ chief executive Jim Rodwell said: “It is our pleasure to be able to give something back to these very special men and women.”
Veterans and serving personnel can claim their tickets by producing their MOD90 ID card or veterans badge at the Notts County ticket office.
The match ball will be laid by local soldier Jack Hawksley, who sustained serious injuries whilst serving in Afghanistan last year.
First published at 11:58, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria council bosses wanted to 'kill' spin doctor story (10 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (101 comments)
- Lumsdon: Carlisle Utd supporters' club is way forward (1 comment)
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (76 comments)