Abbott daily calls to tempt Garner back to Carlisle United
Last updated at 11:29, Monday, 31 December 2012
GREG Abbott claims he is speaking to Joe Garner “every day” as the Carlisle United boss prepares for business in the January transfer window.
But the Blues boss admits he fears missing out on the striker to a bigger club.
Abbott has made Garner one of his top targets and hopes a deal can be done with the frontman’s parent club Watford.
United’s manager admits funds will be tight but wants to pair Garner with Lee Miller in the new year after his eight-goal impact during a 93-day loan in the first half of the campaign.
Abbott said: “It is one we are closely monitoring and Joe is ringing me every day, because he’s a good kid and he likes it here.
“We are probably down the pecking order, because if Championship clubs want to take him, they will.
“And look at the likes of Sheffield United, who have had an injury to one of their strikers, Shaun Miller. If they want him, they will be before us, because they can pay more than us.
“But we will wait and see what develops.” Abbott said there could be departures from his squad next month which could free up money to strengthen.
The Blues boss is known to be pursuing a loan defender from a Premier League club.
And asked if a permanent move for Paddy Madden to Yeovil, where the striker is on loan, could come into the equation, Abbott replied: “Possibly.”
On his likely window dealings, the Carlisle boss added: “There are a number of people we would love to bring in but it’s not a great time for clubs like Carlisle who are devoid of true revenue.
“It will be jiggery-pokery stuff. If things happen where one or two of ours get regular football, I’d have the money to replace them.”
First published at 11:28, Monday, 31 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)