Carlisle Utd boss banking on Miller to get behind struggling team
Last updated at 12:48, Monday, 17 December 2012
Lee Miller got through his comeback match unscathed after being rushed back into service for Carlisle United at Shrewsbury.
And now Greg Abbott is banking on the big Scot making his presence felt on his struggling team during the crucial festive period.
In a move revealed by The Cumberland News last Friday – and denied by Abbott on the eve of the match – the Blues boss gambled on Miller's fitness in the 2-1 defeat at Shrewsbury.
The striker, back from an ankle injury, got through 88 minutes, which Abbott confessed was longer than he had planned to use the 29-year-old at Greenhous Meadow.
It was fit-again Miller’s first outing since the first league game of the season.
Abbott said: “Lee was outstanding and credit to him that he played 88 minutes.
“We were worried about him but he’s got through that and he’ll have a week to recover now before the next game.
“It will probably take him two or three days, but he’s back now and touch wood, he has no injuries or suspension and he is the focal point of what we are doing.
“I think we looked miles better with him up top, he brings other people into play, and just after 70 minutes, when we were going to bring him off, he nearly equalised with a volley. Maybe a fit Lee Miller would have tucked it away, but so be it, it’s a massive positive he’s back playing.”
Miller admitted his joy at being back in a message to his 11,400 followers on Twitter. He wrote: “Gutted with the result 2day, but buzzin 2 b bk on the pitch, bn a while!!..thanx 4 all the kind msgs.”
United’s next opponents Scunthorpe pulled off a surprise 3-1 win at Leyton Orient, with ex-Carlisle men Christian Ribeiro and Karl Hawley scoring.
First published at 12:46, Monday, 17 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Tributes to Carlisle woman who died days after her 26th birthday (21 comments)
- Shop to close after 30 years in Carlisle city centre
- Google erases link to News & Star article under ‘right to be forgotten’ (30 comments)
- North Cumbrian brewery goes into administration
- Two suffer 'serious' injuries in A66 crash