Clubs deny bid but Crawley are tracking Carlisle Utd's Brad Potts
Last updated at 12:23, Thursday, 23 January 2014
Carlisle United and Crawley have both denied a deal is about to be struck for Brad Potts.
However, News & Star Sport understands that the Blues’ League One rivals are keenly keeping tabs on the versatile youngster.
Carlisle managing director John Nixon today insisted there have been no firm bids for Potts or any of his team-mates during the January transfer window.
“We have had no contact with any other club, and we most definitely have not spoken to Crawley Town at all,” said Nixon.
“We do also have to say that, as a board of directors, we would be extremely reluctant to sell any of our younger players. Obviously, we understand that every player has a price but players like this, who are coming through and making a mark, are worth significantly more than the numbers currently being spoken about.
“It just isn’t part of our policy, for the way we want to go forward, to get rid of our youngsters when we feel they can do an important job for our football club.
“However, all of that aside, we can there has been no bid at all for Brad Potts and we have had no official contact from Falkirk about Mark Beck.”
Crawley chairman Dave Pottinger, who this week turned down a £400,000 bid for defender Joe Walsh, denied his club has made a £350,000 offer for Potts, who became the first Carlisle player since Paul Reid in 2000 to win an England Under-19 cap when he made his international debut in November 2012.
Asked on Twitter about Potts, Pottinger said: “No we haven’t made a bid for this player. We also don’t have £350,000 to spend.
“We did make one bid of £75,000 for a player in the south but it was turned down.”
United manager Graham Kavanagh is still hoping to strengthen his squad this month, and is optimistic of making another signing before Tuesday night’s home clash with MK Dons.
First published at 12:07, Thursday, 23 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (66 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (84 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (58 comments)